uktier logo

Useful Links


The Tier 4 Student (Child) visa is for children between the ages of 4 and 17 years who intend to study at a UK educational institution in a full time course. The Tier 4 (Child) Student visa allows students to study in courses of at least 6 months in durati
To be eligible for this visa, applicants between the ages of 4 and 15 years must intend to be educated in a UK independent, fee-paying school. Students must have a confirmed offer of enrolment from a licensed education provider (sponsor) and be able to maintain and accommodate themselves (or be maintained and accommodated by a host) while they are studying and show that they are able to pay their course fees.


Applicants will be required to show that they have been accepted into a recognised course of study at an approved UK institution, licensed by the UK Border Agency. Applicants will also be required to provide evidence that they have sufficient funds (maintenance) available to support themselves whilst in the UK. A Tier 4 Student (Child) applicant must have their parents' or guardians' written consent for their travel, reception and care arrangements while in the UK.

How many points does a child student need?

A child student needs:

30 points for a visa letter, which a child gets for studying a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as sponsorship); and

10 points for having enough money (also known as maintenance or funds) for a child’s course fees and living costs.

Lenght of Stay

Age of child  length of stay allowed
Under 16 years old The full length of the course up to a maximum of six years
four months after the end of the course. A child will need to apply
again before their permission to stay runs out if their programme of
education is longer than six years
16 or 17 years old The full length of the course up to a maximum of two years
four months after the end of a child’s course

 If a child turns 18 years old, they can carry on with their course until their permission to stay ends. If the 18 year old wants to apply again for more permission to stay to finish a course, they will have to apply as an adult student (the date of the application is used to decide the age),and meet the requirements for this category.
If a child has official financial sponsorship, and their financial sponsor is limiting the time. they may study in the United Kingdom, the permission to stay given will be limited to this length of time.

Acceptable levels of courses for child student?

A child student can do courses that are:.

Click here for more information

Share Your Visa Experience
Fields marked with a are required
* Name: 
* Email Address: 
* Topic Subject: 
* Topic Detail: 
* Enter Code:  code