uktier logo

Useful Links

Tier 5 - Youth Mobility Scheme

Tier 5 Introduction

This category will be made up of 5 sub-categories and the Youth Mobility scheme. These sub-categories include: Temporary workers - International Agreement; Temporary Workers - Charity Workers; Temporary Workers - Creative and Sporting; Temporary Workers - Religious Workers; and Temporary Workers - Government Authorized Exchange. Of the general requirements for all of these sub-categories, a major requirement is that individuals are able to come to the UK for a maximum of 12 months (except for the Youth Mobility and International Agreement Schemes where successful applicants will get 24 months) in order to seek temporary and short-term work, after which they will be expected to leave. Applicants under all Tier 5 sub-categories need to score 30 points for a valid certificate of sponsorship from a licensed UK employer (except the Youth Mobility Scheme), and 10 points for maintenance (having enough funds to support themselves in the UK - currently this is £800).

Youth Mobility Scheme

To be able for Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) of the Points Based System you must be able to prove that you have funds to support yourself of not less than £1600.  You must provide documentary evidence to support this, dated no earlier than one month before you apply for entry clearance. 

Who are eligible?

So far, only Australia, Canada, Japan and New Zealand (countries listed in Appendix G to the Immigration Rules) have joined the YMS. However, you are also eligible to apply if you are a British Overseas Citizen, British Overseas Territories Citizen or a British National (Overseas).

Sponsor Requirement

Applicants under Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) must need a sponsor.  The sponsor is your national government.  There will be an annual allocation of places on the Youth Mobility Scheme for each of the individual participating countries listed in Appendix G of the Immigration Rules.  Visa applications from Australia, Canada, Japan and New Zealand will be accepted for consideration up to the point that their country’s annual Youth Mobility Scheme allocation for that year has been filled.  All YMS entry clearance applications from British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) will be accepted for consideration.

Need for Certificate of Sponsorship?

No. There are no nationals at the present time who require a Certificate of Sponsorship under the Youth Mobility Scheme.  The UK Border Agency will announce which nationals do need a Certificate of Sponsorship as and when their countries become participating members of the Youth Mobility Scheme, and how these can be obtained.

Forms Requirement

PBS Appendix 7 Youth Mobility Scheme assessment form

Application form VAF9 - PBS Migrant

Useful Resources for get more information:

Home Office - Official Resource 1

UK Border Agency - Official Resource 2

Guidance for Youth Mobility Scheme

Share Your Visa Experience
Fields marked with a are required
* Name: 
* Email Address: 
* Topic Subject: 
* Topic Detail: 
* Enter Code:  code